IMAP and SMTP configuration¶
In this article:
You need to have cron properly configured in your system to have inbound emails working.
IMAP allows to retrieve your emails from an email client. To setup the IMAP account, do the following steps: 1. Select Emails Tab > top-right menu > Personal Email Accounts. 2. Click on Create Personal Email Account. 3. In the Main section, specify your Email Address. The Name of personal email account is generated automatically, but you may change it. Fetch since allows to choose the date from which emails should be archived. In case you want to archive old emails, set it to some prior date to the day from which they should be fetched.
- In the IMAP section, enter your Host name, your Email Client Username and Email Client Password in the fields shown. Tick of SLL for a secure connection. The IMAP Port will be generated automatically.
- Specify what folders to monitor in Monitored Folders field. By default, it is set to INBOX. If you use some external email client to send emails, you can add Sent folder to archive those emails.
- Put in Folder field allows to specify the folder in which the incoming emails will be put.
- Click on Test Connection to check whether everything was specified correctly. If a connection is successful, click Save on the top of the page.
SMTP allows to send email messages out. Users can setup SMTP settings in Preferences as well as in their Personal Email Accounts. An administrator can also allow to use System SMTP (make it shared).
Users can have multiple SMTP accounts. However, email addresses a user can use to send emails from are defined by email addresses of User record.
To setup SMTP account, do the following:
- Navigate either to Personal Email Accounts page (Emails Tab > top-right menu > Personal Email Accounts) or to Preferences > SMTP settings.
- Tick off Use SMTP box.
- Enter your SMTP Host name, in SMTP security field select TLS for a secure connection. A proper SMTP Port will be set automatically.
- Tick SMTP Auth box and enter your Email Client Username and Email Client Password in the fields shown.
- Click on Send Test Email to check whether everything was specified correctly. If the connection is successful, you will receive test email on the specified email address.
- Sign into your Google Admin console.
- Navigate to App > G Suite > Gmail > Advanced settings.
- Select the organizational unit in the organizations section.
- Under the POP and IMAP Access, uncheck the Disable POP and IMAP access for all users box checkbox.
- Each user has to enable IMAP access as descibed for Gmail Account.
- Sign into your Gmail Account.
- Select > Settings.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the IMAP access, select Enable IMAP.
- Click on Save Changes.
There are two ways in which you can setup IMAP and SMTP for Gmail account:
For more information, please follow the link.
- Go to your Outlook Account.
- Select > View all Outlook settings.
- On the navigation panel, select Mail > Sync email.
- Click Yes to enable POP and IMAP access.
- Press Save button on the top of the page.
Important: The TLS encryption method may not work for IMAP, use the SSL method in this case.
If you have 2FA enabled for your Microsoft account, you need to create app password and use it in Espo instead of your main password. More info here.
Configuration details are available here.
For security reasons it's not recommended to use account passwords when connecting to services like email. That's why major services provides the ability to generate a different password that will be used only in a specific application for a single purpose.
See the articles for the service you use: